Non-Domiciled CLP and CDL

Non-Domiciled CLP and CDL

  • A CLP and CDL issued to an individual domiciled in a foreign jurisdiction, meeting the requirements of FMCR 383.23(b)(1)


  • Applicants must meet CLP requirements outlined in Section 1, Policy 1.01 Commercial Learner’s Permit, to be eligible for a Louisiana-issued CDL.
  • Applicants domiciled in Canada and Mexico are ineligible for a Louisiana-issued non-domicile CLP and CDL, “because the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has determined that commercial licenses issued by Canadian provinces and established by the BMCA rules.


  • The applicant may only acquire a non-domicile CLP and/or CDL from an Office of Motor Vehicles field office.
  • Non-domiciled CLP or CDL applicants are not eligible for a Hazardous Materials endorsement.

Required Documents:

  • Immigration Documentation – Applicants must provide an unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or an unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the US.
  • Proof of Louisiana Residency – A letter, on company letterhead, from the applicant’s employer with the applicant’s name and address of the accommodations provided by the employer.
  • The applicant shall provide proof of identification, as outlined in Section 1, Policy 6.00, Identification Requirements.
  • Social Security Number – Applicants must provide their assigned Social Security number for issuance of a CLP or CDL. Refer to Section 1, Policy 41.00, Social Security Verification for more information.
  • Medical Examiner’s Certificate – Applicants must provide a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate signed and dated by a medical professional indicating they are able to operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)