All new vehicles must be titled with OMV. To title a new vehicle, the following items must be mailed or delivered to the OMV Headquarters or may be processed in an OMV office or at a Public Tag Agent location:
- A completed vehicle application form (DPSMV 1799)
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) - this is a secure document created by the vehicle manufacturer. The MSO must be assigned from the dealer to the buyer and must be notarized if the transfer of ownership occurred in a state that requires notarization.
- Original itemized invoice from dealer to the purchaser, showing complete description (make, year, model, and vehicle identification number) of the vehicle sold, vehicle traded-in (if any), and the dealer’s current permit number.
- If either the invoice or statement of origin is notarized, the file will be acceptable; however, the invoice must be notarized if a tax credit or a trade vehicle is shown.
- Exception: if the transfer of ownership occurred in a state that does not require notarization, notarization will not be required on the invoice or the MSO.
- Properly completed and signed odometer disclosure statement
- Original or copy of properly completed UCC-1 form (financing statement), or other security agreement, if a lien is to be recorded. This can be obtained from the dealer or other entity where financing was secured.
- Payment for applicable fees (see "Fees" on this page).
If you wish to obtain a license plate, in addition to the items above, the following must be included:
- A copy of each vehicle owner’s current and valid photo identification (driver’s license or identification card issued by this state or another state)
Fees necessary for issuance of a new vehicle title and registration:
- $68.50 title fee
- $15.00 lien recordation fee for UCC-1 financing statements or $10.00 lien recordation fee for other security agreement documents, if applicable.
- $8.00 handling fee
- $6.00 local fee (may apply and will not exceed $6)
- License plate fee based on type/weight/selling price of vehicle.
- Sales use tax will be based on the domicile of vehicle and will be assessed on the sales prices of the vehicle minus any qualifying trade vehicle and rebate..