Used Title & Registration

All used vehicles must be titled with OMV. To title a used vehicle, the following items must be mailed or delivered to the OMV Headquarters or may be processed in an OMV office or at a Public Tag Agent location:

  • A completed vehicle application form (DPSMV 1799)
  • "Current" certificate of title assigned before a notary by seller to purchaser, with the properly released lien, if applicable. If the bill of sale, invoice, or title is notarized, the file will be acceptable
  • If the vehicle is less than ten (10) years old and the back of the title does not contain an Odometer Disclosure Statement, a supplemental Odometer Statement must be submitted.
  • An authorized agent of a federally insured financial institution may witness assignment instead of a notary when:
    • The seller is present.
    • A lien is being recorded at the time ownership is transferred.
    • A designation of authorized officers on letterhead of the federally insured financial institution (or otherwise identifying the financial institution) is provided as either an original document or a photocopy.
    • NOTE: Act of Donation must be notarized.
  • Original notarized bill of sale or invoice specifying the actual consideration involved and full description of vehicle. If an invoice from a dealer is submitted, the full description of the trade-in vehicle (if any), and the dealer's current permit number must be indicated.
    • It is only necessary to notarize the bill of sale, invoice, or title. However, if a trade vehicle is listed on the bill of sale, it must be notarized.
    • If a tax credit is shown on an invoice, the invoice must be notarized.
      • Exception: If the state is a non-notary state, then the invoice is not required to be notarized.
    • A separate bill of sale is not required if the selling price is included on a title with a notarized assignment.
    • If the vehicle sale occurs in a state with a notarial requirement, the itemized invoice submitted must be the original and notarized. If the original is lost, a certified true copy can be accepted.
    • A carbon copy of a bill of sale can be accepted if being submitted from a state that does not require notarization.
  • Original or copy of properly completed UCC-1 form (financing statement) or other security agreement, if a lien is to be recorded.

If you wish to obtain a license plate, in addition to the items above, the following must be included:

  • A copy of each vehicle owner’s current and valid photo identification (driver’s license or identification card issued by this state or another state).
  • Proof of liability insurance coverage (unless the vehicle transfer is being submitted by a licensed vehicle dealer).



Fees necessary for used vehicle registration:

  • $68.50 title fee
  • $15.00 lien recordation fee for UCC-1 financing statements or $10.00 lien recordation fee for other security agreement documents, if applicable.
  • $8.00 handling fee
  • $6.00 local fee (may apply and will not exceed $6)
  • License plate fee based on type/weight/selling price of vehicle.
  • Sales use tax will be based on the domicile of vehicle and will be assessed on the sales prices of the vehicle minus any qualifying trade vehicle and rebate.